For the summer rolls
1/2 pound of medium shrimp (about 12–13)
6 Vietnamese rice paper wraps
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 carrot, julienned
1 avocado sliced thin, vertically
1 mango sliced thin, vertically
1 container of Mint
1 head of bib lettuce
For the dipping sauce:
See Peanut Sauce recipe
1. Bring water to boil and have an ice bath ready (An ice bowl is just a bowl with ice and water).
Add the shrimp to the boiling water for 5 minutes.
2. Take out and put in the ice bath so the shrimp don’t continue to cook.
3. Strain the shrimp, dry them, take the tails off, and cut the shrimp in half. You will have two even pieces. Set aside.
For the assembly:
1. Soak the rice wrappers in room temperature water for 30 seconds or until pliable. Be careful not to rip the wrappers when removing from the water.
2. Place flat on the cutting board lined with a clean dish towel and spread evenly. Place two shrimp on 2 mint leaves down the wrapper slightly to the left.
3. Place the red bell pepper strips, shredded carrots, and mango into the bib lettuce and roll it up. Place it to the right of the shrimp leaving a little room. Fold both bottom ends in first then careful roll all together.
4. Cut each spring roll on the bias, and serve with the cucumber salad (look at our recipes) and the dipping sauce.
Note: You can set in the fridge to get a little harder for an hour if you would like or eat right away. Chicken also works well and use your favorite veggies. Avocado is a great addition.