In case you haven’t heard, sleep is absolutely crucial to your health. Sleep is one of the most, if not the most important factor contributing to feeling, looking, and performing your best!
The sad part is that sleep is FREE, but yet most people don’t prioritize this potent form of medicine that literally supercharges your life!
Signs your sleep habits suck…
1. You have issues falling asleep or waking up throughout the night
2. You’re getting sick a lot
3. You’re struggling with your weight
4. Your workouts feel harder than they should
5. You’re unhappy
6. Your mind is foggy
7. You never dream
How much sleep do you get on average each night?
Describe the quality of sleep…
If you are someone that is chronically sleeping less than 7-8 hours per night and/or you are experiencing issues falling asleep or waking up throughout the night then we would highly advise implementing some of the sleep hacks discussed below.
1. Blackout curtains or sleep mask
2. Consistent nightly routine
3. Limit alcohol
4. Limit caffeine after 1 pm
5. Exercise regularly
6. Limit fluids before bed
8. Eat at maintenance calories
9. Take a bath or shower before bed
10. Set your thermostat to a cool temperature
11. Wear blue-blocking glasses throughout the day
12. New mattress
We want to focus on helping you understand the quantity and quality of sleep you should get every day. As we mentioned, 7-8 hours of good quality sleep is considered the bare minimum. Honestly, 9-10 hours is the golden standard. Assess what you are averaging and then simply try to increase by 15-30 minutes each night for 2 weeks straight. From there, try to increase by another 15-30 minutes, etc. The important takeaway is that difficulty sleeping can indicate and/or be the product of other factors associated with your stress and nutrition. Sleep will always be something we assess throughout the process.
For parents, just do the best you can!
For shift workers, just do the best you can!
We get it, the struggle is real!